Brixton Energy is a not-for-profit co-operative based in south London. We create cooperatively-owned renewable energy projects whose financial revenues stay within the local community. Our vision is to create a greener future for Brixton by:
- generating energy in Brixton
- increasing Brixton’s energy resilience and security
- raising awareness about energy efficiency and tackling fuel poverty
- providing training, volunteering and employment opportunities for local people
- lowering energy costs for local residents
- reducing CO2 emissions
- creating opportunities for local and responsible financial investment
Brixton Energy was set up by Repowering London. Repowering so far has delivered four successful projects, and has been appointed Lambeth Council’s preferred provider for renewable energy. Repowering has received funding from the organisation Power to Change to carry out a further 5 projects across Brixton.
These projects empower communities in Lambeth to develop, own and manage renewable energy projects.
- Internships for young people aged 16-24
- The development of alternative business models for community energy; Solar PV and energy storage, anaerobic digestion, energy efficiency, on-site electricity supply, heat networks
- Energy advice sessions for local residents
- Solar panel-making workshops
These began work in early summer 2016! Check out the rest of our website to learn more or to see how you can get involved.